Why do I use the "flipped classroom" model in Social Studies?
- It's been used for centuries! ... now instead of (or in partnership with) readings at home it's video lectures at home. Humanities classes have been using this method for centuries!
- It is student driven... What learning paradigm allows the student to pause the teacher, rewind, listen to over and over until they learn the concept, and even fast forward through the stuff they already know they know?
- It is differentiated ... for that student that doesn't want to raise her hand and ask 50 questions to make sure she gets the material, she can simply go to video and make sure she gets it and then ask the teacher in class at the beginning or when there is time (as in office hours for example). When working in class you can give small group or one-on-one attention
- Focused on learning, not grades... the goal is to know the concept and build on it in a safe environment (the classroom) with the support of the teacher
- Objective based ... Ultimately this model says "I want you to know this by the end of the unit." Students can work with that material as much as they need to.
- It is not teacher-centered ... even though they watch my lecture, I am not up in front of the classroom lecturing for much of the class period at all.
- Promotes increased rigor and higher order thinking ... class time is no longer about the "what" of material but the "why" and "how"
- The content is already out there! ... Much of the content is at your disposal already. You don't need to reinvent the wheel! Look to Khan Academy, Discovery Streaming Videos, PBS, National Geographic, and YouTube
- This prepares students for college and world of work ... THere is not one university student or working professional that has not had to take a course or do some training in an online format. College instructors will require students to be responsible for online content as well as in class content. This method breaks students into that model is a safe environment.
- It's fun and reinvigorates your teaching ... It's not often that a pedagogical approach allows you to speak with every student every day!
Go to www.edmodo.com and sign up http://www.edmodo.com/home#/join/eeab098e1cbe8ee3dfd58cdc48478432 Group Code: 2jranb
Econ Girl Website - Recommended!!!
Great website for the principles, applications and videos for Economics - perfect for the traditional and flipped classrooms.